- Biology produces more males than females, but China has 107 males for every 100 females (a greater disproportion among newborns), India has 108 and Pakistan 111. What makes the females disappear? The murder of women (femicide), the murder of female babies, deliberately less care and feeding of girl babies.
- “One third of all women worldwide face beatings in the home. . . . Women aged fifteen through forty-four are more likely to be maimed or die from male violence than from cancer, malaria, traffic accidents, and war combined.”
- “Far more women and girls are shipped into brothels each year in the early twenty-first century than African slaves were shipped into slave plantations each year in the 18th or 19th centuries . . ."
Meena and the other girls were never allowed out of the brothel and were never paid. They typically had 10 or more customers a day, 7 days a week. If a girl fell asleep or complained about a stomachache, the issue was resolved with a beating.And when a girl showed any hint of resistance, all the girls would be summoned to watch as the recalcitrant one was tied up and savagely beaten.“They turned the stereo up loud to cover the screams,” Meena said dryly. . . .“They held my children captive, so they thought I would never try to escape.”
. . . if the wife is truly disobedient, then of course her husband has to beat her.
Woineshet—a battered, pint-sized girl surrounded by men who were threatening her—told the court official that she had been abducted [and raped], and she pleaded to be allowed to go home. The official, a man, didn’t want to listen to a girl and told Woineshet to get it over with and marry Aberew.
“Even if you go home, Aberew will go after you again,” the official told her. “So there’s no point in resisting.”
Being a woman in this country has become an increasingly expensive proposition. It’s not just dry cleaning and haircuts where women get socked. We pay more for home mortgages, health insurance, and cars and car repairs (even when we . . . do our homework . . . [California] the first state to ban gender pricing, found that women paid about $1,351 annually in extra costs and fees. Apply that figure to the rest of . . . the country and the total burden is staggering—roughly $151 billion in markups.
I believe that the male world view seems to support rape and oppression of women. In one of my psychology classes I took back in the eighties, a survey of college males showed that over fifty percent of them said they would rape if they had no possibility of being caught.
- More inclusive theological language (despite the ridiculous, imposed Mass language)
- Increasing criticism of theism by religious people who see that atheists are correct on this point
- Panicky activity by the Christian right, which senses the shift away from oppressive religion.
You’d think I’d asked to bring pornography into the church.
Being victimized is all some women have ever known; they have been culturally trained to disrespect the feminine. This also applies to Christian women beaten down by the constant references to male gods. As a result, some of them sincerely can’t relate to a Divine Source who isn’t male.